Thursday, June 17, 2010

I LOVE NEW YORK Day 2

Day 2: The Met: American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity and WICKED!
For the second day of appointments, it was pretty chill. That morning we did a quick tour of central park... saw the boat house, Alice in Wonderland and Strawberry fields. 
The tour through Central Park led us to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. At the Met we had a docent guided tour of the Costume Institute's American Woman exhibit. 
I thought the exhibit was gorgeous, it had clothes from the 1890s-1930s and the mannequins were all wearing wigs designed by couture hair stylist Julien D'ys. The wigs on these mannequins were AMAZING! They were stylized representations of the time period, and when you got to the 1920s flapper.... those were just beautiful, very glitzy and glamourous. 
We weren't allowed to take pictures in the exhibit, but I got these from the Met's website. 
After going to the Met we walked down Madison, saw a bunch of preppy school girls, and went into some pretty pricy stores, visited the Ralph Lauren Mansion and then we did whatever before going to see Wicked that night!
My roommates and I at Wicked

Here is a Youtube video I found of Julien D'ys working on the Met's Model as a Muse exhibit from 2009.  I thought it was pretty interesting... check it out. 

So that was pretty much day 2, I think I'll post days 3&4 together before the end of the week... 
I'm really getting back to the blog... keep checkin in 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails